Skip to main content

InterVarsity on Today's Front Page of the New York Times

Battles Over Religious Expression Continue To Get IV Kicked Off Campus


The campus ministry I work for, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, was featured by the New York Times today at the center of the clash between colleges and christian groups over the freedom of association. All over the country InterVarsity is getting kicked off of campuses and refused official recognition because they refuse to allow non-Christians into leadership positions.  



Yet, Athletic teams discriminate based on gender and able-body status, Greek houses choose members and leaders based on gender, why shouldn't a *religious* group have discretion over leaders based on their *religion?*  We believe in (and long for) an inclusive university that values all people and treats them with respect without forcing intellectual conformity.  I'm proud to work for an organization willing to stand for what is right and not compromise their convictions by bowing to cultural standards in the face of official opposition.

Here is a brief look at the article from the New York Times.





BRUNSWICK, Me. — For 40 years, evangelicals at Bowdoin College have gathered periodically to study the Bible together, to pray and to worship. They are a tiny minority on the liberal arts college campus, but they have been a part of the school’s community, gathering in the chapel, the dining center, the dorms.
After this summer, the Bowdoin Christian Fellowship will no longer be recognized by the college. Already, the college has disabled the electronic key cards of the group’s longtime volunteer advisers.
In a collision between religious freedom and antidiscrimination policies, the student group, and its advisers, have refused to agree to the college’s demand that any student, regardless of his or her religious beliefs, should be able to run for election as a leader of any group, including the Christian association.
Similar conflicts are playing out on a handful of campuses around the country, driven by the universities’ desire to rid their campuses of bias, particularly against gay men and lesbians, but also, in the eyes of evangelicals, fueled by a discomfort in academia with conservative forms of Christianity. The universities have been emboldened to regulate religious groups by a Supreme Court ruling in 2010 that found it was constitutional for a public law school in California to deny recognition to a Christian student group that excluded gays.

 ...Continue reading on www.NewYorkTimes.com

Seth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Summer of Love: June and July Update

Me and other first year IV staff at staff training. Whenever I write one of these updates, I look back at my Google calender to help recall what I did and big events that happened. Looking back on June and July, it's hard to even pick a few events that stick out to write about. It was a busy, hectic, awesome, fun, and rewarding summer. I worked a ton, prayed a ton, traveled a ton, and enjoyed every minute because it was preparing me for this August and the beginning of the school year.  Here are a few highlights: 

Portrait of a Prophet: Daniel (spoken word full text)

After much prayer and reflection, I gave this spoken word poem at Vineyard Community Church on 4/6/14 over the life of Daniel the Prophet. On The Shores of Babylon Daniel's Answer to The King by Briton Riviere (1890) God is my Judge That’s what my name means You may know me as Daniel But they even tried to take that from me I know you live in an age of plenty You think yourselves quite mighty And scoff at the idea of tyranny But take a minute, remove this cultural context which is so blinding And step into my shoes, you’ll see what I mean

May Update: Leaving A Legacy and Launching Into The Future

        So... May really flew by! Two weeks of finishing up at Drake, two weeks at a conference in Missouri, and all of a sudden it's June!  I'm excited to share with you some of the great experiences I had with the grace of God and His people this month! Leaving A Legacy          During the first two weeks of May, I ended my semester working at Drake as a volunteer staff.  I briefly mentioned in my last update that I had finished June leading worship for the last time at Drake.  It was a bittersweet moment, playing for the last time with two other seniors on the worship team, but finishing with a really fun night of worship and celebration.