Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Falling Upward - A New Blog For A New Chapter

This is my blog for the future.  I am just about to graduate from college and am trying to get my life together. That means getting more disciplined in all areas of life. That means washing my dishes after I use them instead of letting them sit in the sink. That means making budgets. It means creating an adult sounding firstname.lastname@gmail.com email address, and also starting a new blog.

Tumblr is for middle school girls and "The Truth Dude," my former blog name (and current twitter handle, I have 223 followers so I'm probably keeping that forever), sounds immature and a little arrogant. I am certainly still a dude who loves truth. But I am so much more than "The Truth Dude." I wanted a blog that was more about who I really am than who I think I am. I want people to see me or read my writing and think "that's Seth Hedman," not "that's this persona a have created in my mind based on their online username."

So my blog address is sethhedman.blogspot.com and I have connected it to my Gmail account seth.hedman@gmail.com. So grown up, I know.

I have hesitantly called the blog "Falling Upward," which is a phrase that just came to me the other day while I was reflecting on my relationship with God over the last few years. I have been a sold out follower of Jesus for 4.5 years and although it has been great, I have made a lot of mistake and stumbled a lot. But God is so faithful he has continued to grow me and use me in more ways than I can imagine.  So my relationship with God is sort of helpless, like I am falling towards him, like gravity is reversed and He is pulling me towards himself. Everything I do is merely the out flowing of God's grace working in me. His grace changes me and my works show it.  Even though this has been true all along since I got saved, I have really started to feel it lately. Sin is always pulling us down it seems. But God is faithful. When the pull of sin is outweighed by the faithfulness of God, you begin falling upward.

But Falling Upward is also the name of a book some dude wrote. I don't know maybe God wasn't giving me a blog name but was telling me to read that book. I'll probably read it just to be sure.

But either way, I want to use this blog to express the thoughts and insight I have about my relationship with God, the Church, philosophy, theology, relationships and pretty much anything else that crosses my mind. By no means do I claim to speak absolute truth, but God has blessed me with wisdom that I want to use and share with others. My goal is get better at articulating my thoughts through writing so I can begin working on a book soon. I will also try to use this to post pictures and music I create, in order to transition from Facebook into a more adult website which creates my own online brand and identity. Maybe that's lame, I don't know, but Facebook is getting kind of old anyway, you know?  I look forward to posting more in the near future (my goal is once a week). Thanks and God Bless.

Seth

No comments:

Post a Comment