Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Perspective of a Prophet: John The Baptist

This is the first of a "Perspective of a Prophet" series in which I will be extensively studying and then speaking from, the perspective of various Prophets. These words are not necessarily what I would say nor how would say them but from the perspective of the prophet. This installment is John the Baptist.


Preaching of St. John the Baptist by Domenico Ghirlandaio (1490)


You wouldn't like me very much.

Jesus called me the greatest man ever that ever lived...

but you wouldn't like me very much.

I prepared the way for the Messiah, that He may reconcile all people to God...

but you wouldn't like me very much.

You wouldn't like me because I told the truth and didn't pull any punches. Because I called people to "REPENT!" and "BEAR FRUIT!" before I told them that God loves them.  I'm sure you would have reminded me to "speak the truth in love" and "not be so serious all the time."

You wouldn't have liked me because I look a lot more like this...

  



...than you're comfortable with.

And I'm not talking about those hypocrite, wolf in sheeps clothing, lying snakes in Kansas! Who make their living preying on the mourning and weakness of others, luring in the youth, twisting God's truth with their own hate!

I'm talking about having the courage to call people to repentance for their sins before they are cast into the fire of God's wrath.

But judgment, wrath, repentance... these make you uncomfortable?

Good.

Between the camel's hair and the Jordan River, I probably smelled pretty bad. Between the honey and raw crickets on my breath, that probably smelled pretty bad too.

For the location of my ministry I chose the desert; hot, dry, inconvenient, and outside of peoples way. Yet all Judea, Jerusalem, and Jordan came to see me. The first thing I said when people showed up was, "YOU BROOD OF VIPERS!! WHO WARNED YOU TO FLEE FROM THE COMING WRATH!?"  ...and everyone confessed their sins and was baptised.

What does that do for your outreach model?

I said the things that no one else would, the things others were scared to say.  I called people out for their sins, I fasted, I looked weird, I acted weird, I rebuked, I warned people about the consequences of their disobedience, and that hell awaited them if they did not change. And they had the gall to say I had a demon!


Salone with the head of John the Baptist by Andrea Solario (1520)   
I called out a politician for sleeping with His brother's wife and it got me put in jail. I stood by it and publicly proclaimed sexual sin in an age where it was accepted and everyone was too apathetic or scared to say anything.  This upset people in power and so I was beheaded.

I had my head cut off and you're afraid to like a status because of it how it may associate you with something controversial!

I lived in the desert, ate locusts, wore camel hair and you're afraid of how God is going to provide for you!

I was the crazy guy standing on the street corner screaming REPENT and you're afraid to talk about Jesus in class in case you come off of one of those Christians!
 WHAT!? A JESUS FREAK LIKE ME??

You coward! You care more about what man thinks than God! You care more about being relevant than being obedient!
You hypocrite! You twist God's word to justify your own apathy, fear, and sin!
You coward! You remain silent while innocent children are led away to slaughter in the womb!
You hypocrite! You do nothing while women and children are bought and sold for sex!
The poor, orphan, widow, and refugee are dying in the streets while you grow fat in luxury!!
Do you think you can avoid the coming wrath of God!? Are you so arrogant or naive to think it won't come!?

...

...Therefore, bear fruit in accordance with repentance. And don't presume to say to yourself: "I grew up a Christian, I go to church." For God raises up his church from prostitutes and beggars.  So who are you? Even now the ax is ready to strike the root of the trees! Therefore every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire!

The one who has two shirts should share with the one who has none.  Deal fairly and honestly in your business.  Do not steal. Treat people justly.
St. John the Baptist by El Greco (1579)

You may not like me and you may think I am harsh. But judge me by my fruits.  Through my message came one greater than me, who baptizes you with the Holy Spirit and fire.  I heard a mighty voice from Heaven and the Spirit descend on Him like a dove. He brings the Kingdom of God with him and restores all things to himself. He is the Messiah and Lord to whom you should look and trust and follow.  I merely point toward Him, that He may become more and I may become less.

Jesus. Yeshua in my tongue.

He said I was the greatest man that ever lived.  But I never got to experience the Holy Spirit, nor the first inch of the growth of the Kingdom. For this reason I envy you, among whom the least will be greater than I.

He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.
He is the one to whom you repent.
Turn away from your wickedness, your selfishness, and your sin.
Turn towards Jesus.
And follow.




Again, after study and reflection, this was written from the perspective of John the Baptist and not my my own, as much as possible.

Seth








No comments:

Post a Comment