Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

March Update: My Official Job Location Decision

It's Official

I am proud to officially announce that I'm going to be a full-time InterVarsity campus missionary at Central University in Pella, Iowa!!!  It was a long process and I spent a lot of time in prayer and talking with friends and family, but I have no doubt that Central is where God wants me to be.  Go Dutch!

Here's the story.

I never got to sign a letter of intent when I came to play football at Drake, so I decided to fake a signing to go on staff at Central.




A few short weeks after my interview with InterVarsity I received an official offer to work at Central and park time at William Penn. I knew very little about either of those places and wanted to do a lot of praying and discerning before I made my decision.  The only thing I knew for sure was I wanted to be wherever I could serve the most.  It couldn't be about what I could get out of it or what could serve me best, but where my gifts would be most helpful and beneficial to the needs around me.  I also knew about Pella's Dutch heritage and their famous tulip time. And the glass factory.  And Smokey Row. OK I knew a few things.

My first visit to Central was a Thursday a few weeks back and I spent most of my day touring the campus, seeing the town, and asking current and previous staff all about the culture, strengths, and weakness of the campus and community.  It was really amazing to hear and experience the different culture of Central's InterVarsity chapter.  I was so exciting to witness other Christians, on a totally different campus, equally on fire for Jesus as Drake.  It was fascinating to see the different ways in which they organize and execute their activities. It was shocking how different the general culture and attitudes of college students at Central could be so different than Drake students, only a short 50 minute drive apart.

I left this visit very intrigued by how my gifts could fit with the strengths and needs of Central.  I was excited about how eager Central students seemed to be about having fun, serving, getting involved, and being up for anything.  There's good relationships between the Christian organizations on campus a lot of opportunities for working together and building unity on campus.  There also seems to be an undercurrent of cultural Christianity, much like all of the midwest, which I can help shake up.  I look forward to bringing worship, rest, and the Holy Spirit into a place of busyness.

But I still wasn't convinced.

Me pretending to sign what is actually a certificate for handling food.


It wasn't until the following Thursday when I took a more student-centered visit.  I got coffee with, went to meetings with, and ate lunch with students through most of the afternoon. I was so blessed by the students who were willing to take the time to hang out with me and answer my millions of questions. I was so honored by the honesty of our conversations.  It was in the midst of these conversations, and seeing how my perspective and experience could speak life into their group and campus, which I saw their need and saw how could help fill it.  There was no doubt that Central was where I could serve best.

And although I did not visit William Penn, I know that campus as just as much to offer.  I get Central because, sharing in the white evangelical suburban experience, I am Central.  I can speak into their experiences and questions because I've been there.  Heck, my high school mascot was the Dutch! That's uncanny! Nay, it's Providence. And William Penn, an extremely diverse campus, provides me an opportunity to get out of my comfort and grow in ways that I can't if I am isolated in only a small, suburban town.

...aaand the hat makes it official.


So for now I am still in process of going on staff.  There's still training to do and paperwork to fill out before I hit fundraising like I've been wanting to.  I'm working part time with Drake and there is a long, exciting month that lays before us.  I'm pumped to see what God is going to do at Drake because even as I look forward to Central, I'm not done with Des Moines yet. I'm sure I never will be. Please pray for Drake over the next month and pray for me as I finish strong in one chapter and begin fundraising for the next.  I trust the Lord will provide, but I'm still nervous.

The Spring Break Urban Plunge

I wanted to quickly share about the Urban Plunge over Spring Break here in Des Moines.  It was like an urban mission trip for Drake and Central students although, unlike many service oriented mission trips, this had more of a focus on learning, informing, and developing a life-long focus on Jesus and Justice.  From Wednesday night to Sunday morning we learned about sex trafficking, homelessness, and refugees.  We did vision prayer and prayed against trafficking out in the city, we helped refugees move furniture and paint, and we dropped off care packages for the homeless.  One group came back with an incredible story of running into a homeless young man with a rope in his hands.  After giving him some goods, talking with him for some times, and praying for him, he shared that he was considering suicide before they walked up and that now he knows God brought them to him.  How crazy is that!?

On the last night we shared in a night of lament and worship.  We sobbed and wailed for the brokenness of sin in the world and we worshipped God for His goodness and mercy.  At the end of it all, students shared how God had broken their hearts to put it back together, how they received deep inner healing, and their life trajectory had changed. It is hard to believe how much God moved that week through the imperfect efforts of a few disorganized staff.  But that is why I am going into campus ministry, because I know God uses crooked sticks to make straight lines and He shows up and mighty ways when we give ourselves to Him.  It's not about me at all.  It's about students falling in love with Jesus and become world changes.  I'm praying for more of that kind of Holy Spirit harvest in the coming months as school ends at Drake and in the coming years at Central.  In short, I'm praying for His Kingdom come, His will be done, and that I can find some small part in it.

Thanks for reading
Seth

No comments:

Post a Comment